If you haven’t yet jumped on the online scrapbooking train, you’re probably staring at your boxes of paper, stickers and photos and wondering where you will store them again this year. You might even find yourself taking fewer pictures since you still haven’t done anything with the last few years of photos which are sitting on your computer’s hard drive.
Because pictures are now almost entirely stored digitally, it makes sense to create digital scrapbooks. Online scrapbooking cuts out the middle step of developing your pictures, so you can just drag and drop them right into their digital pages. If you’re not yet ready to turn in your decorative scissors and glue dots, consider these advantages of online scrapbooking.
Online Scrapbooking is User-Friendly
- There are many online scrapbook sites with loads of templates, stickers and tools to edit your photographs. Some require a download which makes it easy for you to share your photos to an app on your computer or even your smartphone. Others don’t require any download and allow you to easily upload your photos onto their server.
- Drag-and-drop templates make it simple for beginners to add photos, text and other customizations to each page.
- You can create page layouts which enhance photographs without the mess and time of traditional cut-and-paste scrapbooking.
- You can even scan in your old printed photographs to add them to your digital scrapbook. If you prefer real film and choose to print your pictures, just have the photo lab make a photo CD of your images so you can use them in your digital scrapbook as well.
Online Scrapbooking Saves You Money
- Most avid scrapbookers have drawers and totes full of paper products and tools. With online scrapbooking, you can choose from a variety of backgrounds and decorative elements without having to purchase each one. This means no more buying large books of paper just to get the few pieces you really like.
- You can even try out several different looks for each page and choose your favorite without wasting materials. Making the book is free on most sites.
- Many sites allow you to download your creations for free to share online. You can post your scrapbook to your blog so friends and family can easily view your “Year in Review” or new baby album.
- Use a PDF creator to convert your digital scrapbook pages into PDF files which are easy to share via email or even as a picture message on your smartphone. You can also make the digital pages on any scrapbook-making site, and then send the files to the print shop of your choice to make your bound scrapbook. This way you can shop around for the best printing deals and sales.
Online Scrapbooks are Multi-media
- When sharing online, you can include an audio track or even video clips to bring your scrapbook to life.
- You can print your pages on other items such as coffee mugs, t-shirts, mouse pads, and calendars.
Digital Scrapbooks Preserve Your Memories
- You can have your digital scrapbook printed on acid free paper, so you don’t have to worry about glue and other adornments yellowing the pages with age.
- Your digital scrapbook can be saved online, on your PC or on a disk so you will have backups if anything happens to the printed book or the photos which were used in the book. You can’t back up a traditional scrapbook.
Get Creative with Online Scrapbooking
Because digital scrapbooks are so quick and easy to make, people are finding other creative ways to use these sites. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Personalized alphabet book for your children using their own photos
- Yearbook pages for your child’s school, club or other organization
- School projects
- Business needs such as flyers or other ads
- Framed artwork for home decor
Life is passing us quickly in this digital age. Take advantage of this technology today to preserve your cherished memories for many tomorrows.
Featured Image: Creative Commons – Attribution by Meg Lessard