Sculptures are 3D (three dimensional) and a form of derived from metal, clay, stone, basalt, bronze, and other materials.
What are the different types of sculptures?
- Assemblage - It is a free standing sculpture and is made from different objects that combined together.
- In the round sculptures - These are sculptures that have free standing solid piece. It has four sides, which are surrounded by empty space.
- Relief sculpture - These sculptures are in the form of picture that is mounted on a vertical surface.
Sculptures are very delicate work of art. It requires gentle handling and cleaning. Sculptures are meant to last a lifetime, but there are external factors that could affect the life and beauty of sculptures. If the sculpture gets damaged, you don’t just put it in the junk. As you know, sculptures are expensive especially if it is made by a well known artist. Damaged sculptures can be restored with help of sculpture restoration companies.
What are the common sculptures to be restored?
- Zinc sculptures
- Bronze sculpture
- Limestone mounts
- Architectural features made from granite, bronze, steel, and marble
What factors warrant sculpture restoration?
- Continues exposure to environmental conditions such as extreme heat of the sun, freezing rain, acid rain, airborne grit and grime, and thawing.
- Vandalism to various architectural features and historical monuments.
- Small and big cracks
- Heat tears
- Multiple breaks
- Chipped items
Sculpture restoration process varies depending on the types of materials used. Each material requires different sculpture restoration approach.
Ceramic sculpture repair
Ceramic sculptures are highly sensitive to damage or breakage. Unintentional impact of just a simple mishandling can lead to severe damage. To be able to restore ceramic sculptures, a sculpture repair professional will use combination of different techniques so that sculptures will be backed in its original condition. These restoration methods are:
Porcelain sculpture restoration
Porcelain is a highly fragile material, but a lot of sculptures used it because of its beauty. Because of the beauty of porcelain, it is use to create differ statues. Porcelain sculptures can be restored using the aforementioned process.
Marble Statue Repair
This is by far one of the most challenging sculpture restoration processes. In order to get the job done in a precise manner, you should hire the service of fine art restoration professional.
Common procedures used in restoring sculptures
In every restoration project, the very first thing to do is to assess the extent of the damage (surface and structural damage). After thorough assessment, the restorer will determine the types of restoration procedures to be used such as:
- Proper finishing
The cost of sculpture restoration
The cost of the repair varies depending on the extent of the damage. The sculpture restorer will take into account several things such as:
- The extent of cracks, breaks, and chips
- Number of missing pieces and if fabrication is necessary
- The extent of surface that needs to be repainted
- The types of repair to be used
- How many shades of color is needed
The basic cost of sculpture restoration ranges from $100 to $300. Before proceeding with the restoration, you should first assess whether the cost of restoration makes financial sense. The lead time for sculpture restoration is five weeks to eight weeks depending on the severity of the damage.
Article by Edward Knight
Edward Knight is a famous sculpture that specializes in Basic Sculpture Restoration. He has been in the sculpture business for many decades now and a lot of people entrust to him the restoration of their precious sculptures.